Wednesday, February 10, 2010

46 Mommas Shave For The Brave



Every school day in the U.S., 46 kids are diagnosed with cancer. Back in 1968, at the tender age of 8 1/2 months, I was one of them. This baby photo was taken about 3 1/2 months post diagnosis of Stage IV High Risk Neuroblastoma - which resulted surgery for the removal of my right kidney and a 2 1/2 pound tumor the size of a big man's fist then chemotherapy which consisted of 250 shots in the tops of both my hands to dissolve what remained of the cancer on my left kidney and the outer lining of my stomach. I may not have held a complete understanding of what was going on; but it still had a very profound impact on me and I doubt I would be the person I am today had it not been for having been set on this journey. I've become part of an amazing 'family' because of the journey we've all been set upon. We do not like what brought us together, but we certainly won't give up this amazing family either!! I love every one of you!!!!

This year, we’re going to take action and promote change for some very brave, courageous, strong, young Warriors on the battlefield called cancer! The plan is, there will be 46 of us banding together in solidarity with the brave Childhood cancer Warriors and we’ll be winning the battle!!!

We aim to bring Awareness to the public at large because far too many people are still of the notion that speaking about Childhood cancer is taboo! Let’s be honest, NONE of these kids asked to have cancer, yet those who do end up with it face it with bravery, courage, faith and a brutal honesty that you won’t find in many adults. Our hair may be attached to us, but we aren’t as attached to it. If it takes losing our hair to bring about an Awareness that reaches the masses of people, then that’s exactly what we need to do; because frankly, having 7 children a day die from cancer is losing 7 too many each day!!

Again, I tell you - 46 Children are diagnosed with cancer in the U.S. every school day! Never think NOT my family, NOT my child. Childhood cancer crosses all boundaries - it occurs regularly, randomly and spares no ethnic group, socioeconomic class or geographic region. Now, with that said: sadly, it could be YOUR CHILD! I pray it NEVER is!!!

This updated photo was taken within the last few days. In September, I'll be losing my hair by choice rather than by chemotherapy or parental decision causing it; but here's the kicker: ever since my time of dealing with Childhood cancer, my hair has only been short one time. I said short, not gone; and that was certainly not by choice!!


(Please take a moment to check out my page on St. Baldrick’s, the website is: http://www.stbaldricks.org/participants/mypage/participantid/362847)

2 comments:

  1. Carla thanks for speaking up for this most worthy cause...and please post pictures of all the hair removal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're most welcome, Beth; my voice is there for THEM!! Definitely will do on posting pictures of all the hair removal!

    ReplyDelete