Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Faces Capture Awareness



While being a voice for these kiddos, I would be remiss if I neglected to make perfectly clear the gravity of their situation.

So, today, I want to show you rather than merely tell you about the reality of Childhood cancer.

Every school day, there are 46 kids newly diagnosed with some form of Childhood cancer. That's a sharp blow right smack in the gut for at least 46 families. Thus the lives of not just those 46 kids but every family member are forever changed.

What I'd like to put into perspective today is the fact that by day's end, there will be 7 new Angels fitted with wings. 7 kids whose Earthly battle has been written down in God's books; they sit in Jesus' lap as He holds them close and tells them that though they have now become Angels they will NEVER be forgotten down on Earth. 7 candles whose flame may have been extinguished, but whose radiance will burn on in our hearts forevermore!

You may or may not have met them. I know them through their family, I've read about their journey, I've come to love each one of them. Any one of these children could be yours, every one of them has earned their wings!! Beautiful, amazing, strong, courageous, wise beyond their years. Their names are forever etched in my soul, they are part of what I call my family. None of them asked to join, nor did I; but because of the path we were all set upon, we have become 'family.' (All of us - Angels, Warriors, Survivors and members of these families.)

This is a fight that we ALL need to be part of. Our children are our future; without our future, what have we got??



A few reminders:
~NEVER think NOT my family, NOT my child; because the fact remains, IT COULD BE YOUR CHILD.
~cancer doesn't give a damn who it strikes - but WE DO!!!

This is one war that we, as a family, are very determined to win; one we WILL win!

TODAY...WE FIGHT!

3 comments:

  1. Carla...your mission to make others aware is so admirable. How do you stay so optimistic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carla,
    I just found your website when googling superheroes and cancer. What an amazing site you have here-you are doing wonderful things for these kids with cancer. I opened your site and immediately started naming off the kids I knew-Jessica, Cameron and on and on. My daughter Hannah was diagnosed with medulloblastoma in 2007. She has been off chemo now for 2 years and doing well.

    Our Relay this year has the superhero team theme and couldn't believe the amazing entry you made about super heroes. Some people can just write you and you are obviously one of them. I am going to share your profound words with my team and my friends. You are such an aspiring person! Thank you for everything you are doing to help raise awareness. I just wanted to stop in and say hello!
    Kim Prokop
    www.hannahpro.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. ~Beth,
    Thank you. Sometimes I must say it is a challenge, but look at those beautiful faces! Those beautiful kids fought the good fight! Being that I once walked (well, rather crawled) in the shoes on that battlefield, I have to stay optimistic and be their VOICE. Most adults in positions of power refuse daily to listen/hear anything all these kids have to say; as an adult myself and being a Long Term Survivor, I can stand toe to toe with those same adults in power and be listened to/heard!

    ~Kim,
    I've already taken a moment to become a Follower of Hannah and the blog. She's a beautiful girl!! Please give her a high five from me and tell her she ROCKS!

    Each one of these kids is (and will always be) amazing, in their own way!

    You're more than welcome to share my words on Superheroes and thank you so much for even considering it! As for my writing ability, it's a gift from God and one I'm so thankful for!! You're most welcome and I find it an honor and privilege to be able to be an advocate for every kiddo in this fight (Angels, Warriors & Survivors), as well as to be here for family members and friends.

    I'm really glad you stopped in to say hello, Kim.

    Thank you both for stopping in,
    Carla

    ReplyDelete