Thursday, February 11, 2010

Speaking Up

When President Obama was just starting out, he was putting together a Citizen's Briefing, a book filled with our thoughts and concerns. I made sure to put in my vote and then I went on to ask 4 questions; then, when I flew back to Pennsylvania in September 09 for Aimee Dickey's Walk for Childhood cancer Awareness and was one of the guest speakers there, I took the time again to ask those same 4 questions. I didn't just ask these 4 questions though, I also had the answers for them. I continue now to ask these same 4 questions because to me they are some of the most important ones to come to mind.

These are the questions I asked President Obama:
~If the soldiers on this field of battle against Childhood cancer are infant to teen/bordering on young adult age, then I want to know:
1. Who will take a stand and be a voice for these children who face this horrendous battle with bravery and courage?
2. Who will raise awareness of this destroyer of life?
3. Who will make sure all these stories get told?
4. When will these young voices be heard?

The answers for me are crystal clear:
(For the first 3 questions the answer is the same each time.) I will, we will and hopefully YOU will. ONE VOICE - UNITED!!!
(For the 4th question) NOW is the time for change, NOW is the time for even the smallest Warrior's voice to be heard (even if it means SOMEONE ELSE speaks for them on their behalf!)

When I flew back east to Pennsylvania, I broke down some walls - I'd never flown before, I'd never met the people I was about to (aside from on the internet), I'd certainly never spoken to a large crowd about why bringing Awareness to Childhood cancer is definitely important to me. My first flight ever was on September 11, 2009. (I know, insert look of "What the hell were you thinking, are YOU crazy?" here. Actually, not entirely crazy; but my Mom used to tell me, "If you're gonna do it up, do it up right!" so I took her advice and I'm glad I did.) When I met all the people I'd been waiting to meet, I knew it was meant to be; especially when it came time to head back home and I wasn't ready to (They have become family to me, a family I love and cherish just as much as the one I was born into.) As for speaking to a large crowd, I'm generally quiet, soft spoken when it comes to many things, I was so not looking forward to taking the mic and speaking; but when I did, it was as if I was meant to be there at that very moment because all the fear and concern I'd had slipped away and I was ready! There was no tremble in my voice, I didn't stumble over my words, I was saying exactly what people needed to hear; there is hope, there are Survivors out here willing to speak up and I will be one of them!

So, quoting the line of a friend, "TODAY WE FIGHT!"

(Please take time today to check out the PAC2 website (that's People Against Childhood cancer): http://curechildhoodcancer.ning.com and thank you for doing so.)

No comments:

Post a Comment